First of all, I confession to complete ignorance about Mahābhārata. I knew it was a play at Ubuntu Theater Project.
Here are 10 things I Noticed about “Mahābhārata”:
1. After hearing it you do feel more alive.
2. It is an Indian epic.
3. It’s about storytelling.
4. It’s a one person show and J Jha brilliantly portrays Itahasvid/Kunti/Draupadi/Amba: Shikhandi/Chitrandaga/Mohini/Bhisma/Karna
5. The story is longer than the Iliad and the Odyssey combined.
6. It starts with a snake sacrifice.
7. The term “mannish woman” is used and I was not offended.
8. First time I heard “blue black” used by someone not Black and it was not offensive to me.
9. “Good soldier, bad speaker”.
10. By the numbers: 3 million warriors, 260,000 plus elephants and an 18 day war.
This play is brilliantly adapted by Geetha Reddy and directed by Michael Socrates Moran.
Go see the play through 12/8/19 and subscribe, it’s pay what you can.