Johannesburg, South Africa, is the city we chose to visit on our honeymoon. I knew nothing about the city, here are 10 things I noticed:
- It is also known as Joburg or Jo’burg. The locals say it too, not like outsiders calling San Francisco, Frisco.
- It is also know as Jozi.
- It is located in the province of Gauteng which means “place of gold”.
- Soweto (South-Western Townships) used to be a separate city from the late 1970s to 1994 is now a part of Joburg.
- There are Muslims mosques and we heard people praying several times a day.
- They have minibus taxis which honk at folks to get their attention for rides and we were advised not to take as they are three times more expensive than Ubers.
- The Apartheid Museum is there, opened in 2001.
- If size matters, Jozi is the largest city in South Africa and in the top 50 largest cities in the world.
- There is an Impact Hub Joburg co-working space.
- The Gautrain is the cleanest public transportation I have ever seen and we were advised by our Uber driver that the rules are so strict that you cannot even chew gum while aboard.