Yes I am registered to vote, and I do vote, but have not paid much attention to the Presidential election until the HRC Equality Town Hall. I was impressed by a number of the candidates and had narrowed it down to Tom Steyer and Cory Booker.
I participated in a live chat with Tom Steyer, donated money to his campaign and decided to volunteer with his campaign.
Before the first training for Team Tom my womance, Cat, invited me to a Cory Booker fundraising event in Oakland.
He had me at “love” which he speaks openly of in his campaign. I am also in alignment with the rest of his platform, he begins with the end in mind. He also likes to take selfies. I believe he will be the next President of the United States. I met Obama before he was elected, I am just saying.
Here are 10 things I love about Cory Booker, some I have in common with him, and they explain why I am on Team Cory:
- He was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Jersey.
- He went to Stanford on a football scholarship. He’s 6’2″.
- He went to law school and started out as a tenant’s rights attorney. (I worked on tenant’s rights after graduating from The University of Santa Clara School of Law)
- His parent’s were among the first black executives at IBM. (So was my dad, Bob Thompson)
- He was in Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (As was I).
- He walks the walk and went on a hunger strike and lived both in a tent and a motor home near to where drugs were dealt.
- While mayor of Newark he reduced his salary and raised the salaries of city workers.
- He is the first Black senator from New Jersey.
- His autobiography is United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good.
- He speaks fluent Spanish.