Chloe Anthony Wofford “Toni” Morrison(born Chloe Ardelia Wofford sunrise February 18, 1931 sunset August 5, 2019 was a novelist, essayist, editor, teacher, and professor.
Here are 10 Things I Noticed after viewing the documentary Toni Morrison The Pieces I Am:
1. Toni, born in Ohio did not experience segregation until she enrolled at Howard in 1949.
2. She got up early every morning to write before her children woke up and before she went to work.
3. She made lists of things to do but ultimately decided she only needed to do two things, be a parent and write.
4. When Sonia Sanchez called to tell her she won the Nobel Prize for Literature she hung up on her because she thought Sanchez was drunk.
5. In 1993 she became the first Black woman of any nationality to receive a Nobel Prize .
6. 48 Black writers including Maya Angelou and June Jordan signed a statement that was published in the New York Times noting that Toni had not received the National Book Award or the Pulitzer Prize.
7. She helped Angela Davis get published.
8. She got a biography published about Muhammad Ali.
9. She loved a party and Fran Leibowitz went with her to get her Nobel Prize.
10. She knows that “words have power”.