Donald Cortez Cornelius sunrise 9/27/1936 Chicago, IL, sunset 2/1/20012 Los Angeles, CA.
Tv show host, writer, and producer.
Served in Korea with the United States Marine Corps for 18 months.
Hosted Soul Train from 1971 to 1993.
Catch phrase to close the show: “… and you can bet your last money, it’s all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I’m Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!”
September is National Suicide Prevention Month. Don Cornelius committed suicide by a fatal gun-shot wound to the head.
According to the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) http://iasp.info the following 6 things are true about suicide:
1. Annually one million people commit suicide. That’s tantamount to one death every 40 seconds.
2. The “number of lives lost each year through suicide exceeds the number of deaths due to homicide and war combined”.
3. Suicide is in the top three leading causes of death for folks ages 15 – 44.
4. Some studies have attempted suicide numbers 10 to 20 times more than successful suicides.
5. In Europe and North America mental disorders (depression and alcohol use) are major factors.
6. In Asian countries impulsiveness plays a role.
Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.