Paul Rubenfeld 8/27/1952 Peekskill, NY.
Actor, writer, film producer, game show host, and comedian.
Grew up in Sarasota, FL.
President of the National Thespian Society in high school.
I wrote 10 Reasons I love Pee-wee’s Playhouse in 2014:
Pee-wee’s Playhouse ran on Saturday mornings on CBS for five seasons, 45 episodes, starting in 1991, and continued in reruns. It is now available on Blue-ray.
Here are 10 reasons I love Pee-wee’s Playhouse:
1. Paul Reubens never broke character.
2. Pee-wee always wore the same thing: a gray suit, white shirt, and red bow tie with matching lipstick.
3. The “secret word.”
4. Pee-wee’s laugh coupled with him uttering, “I know you are, but what am I?”
5. Miss Yvonne was “the most beautiful woman in Puppet Land,” but an honorable mention goes to S. Epatha Merkerson, who portrayed Reba, the mail lady. The former showed cleavage; the latter did not.
6. Laurence Fishburne played Cowboy Curtis, complete with a jheri curl.
7. Academics studied it before “queer theory” and “gender studies” classes.
8. Sandra Bernhard did a cameo in the first episode.
9. Globey the globe.
10. Jambi the blue-faced genie.
Peace, love, joy, gratitude, faith, courage, compassion, and blessings.